Translate

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vocab list # 7

1. aberration (noun)- an optical phenomenon resulting from the failure of a lens or mirror to produce a good image
-My mother panicked when there was an aberration getting in the way.

2. ad hoc (adverb)- for the special purpose or end presently under consideration
-The rules of the dance class were ad hoc.

3. bane (noun)- something causes misery or death
-Drugs and alcohol were bane in my cousin's life.

4. bathos  (noun)- a change from a serious subject to a disappointing one; insincere pathos
-If all the reading homework was not due my Monday then it was a real bathos for completing it all the day before

5. cantankerous (adj)- stubbornly obstructive and unwilling to cooperate.
-Rosa is so cantankerous when her blood level is low.

6. casuistry (noun)- moral philosophy based on the principles to resolve moral dilemmas.
-I am not convinced of such casuistry because I am not convinced that apples are better than grapes.

7. de facto (noun)- in the fact; in reality
-De facto is that green is a much more brighter color then blue.

8. depredation (noun)- an act of plundering ; (usually plural) a destructive action
-Each farm was matched with a similar farm with out wolf depredation.

9. empathy (noun)- understanding and entering into another's feelings
-My dad felt some empathy for my sister after her break-up.

10. harbinger (noun)- an indication of the approach of something or someone (verb) foreshadow or presage
-Harbinger of things to come.

11. hedonism (noun)- an ethical system that evaluates the pursuit of pleasure as the highest good
-There are limits in a doctrine of pure hedonism.

12. lackluster (adj)- lacking luster or shine
-My ring lackluster's which means I have to go get it cleaned.

13. malcontent (adj)- disconnected as toward authority; (noun) a person who is disconnected or disgusted
-The child malcontent with his father after the argument.

14. mellifluous (adj)- pleasing to the ear
-The sweet music was mellifluous to the baby's ear.

15. nepotism (noun)- favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power
-My dad has nepotism towards my baby sister.

16. pander (noun)- someone who procures customers for whores (verb) arrange for sexual partners for others
-The pander was loosing business and needed new costumers.

17. peccadillo (noun)- a petty misdeed
-My aunt didn't feel anything towards my baby cousins peccadillo.

18. piece of resistance (noun)- the most noteworthy or prized feature, aspect, event article etc. ; special item or attraction.
-My award was the piece of resistance of my whole ceremony.

19. remand (noun)- the act of sending an accused person back into custody to await trial (verb) refer to another committee or authority or court for decision
-The guilty man had to be remanded after new evidence was found.

20. syndrome (noun)- a complex of concurrent things;
-The new born baby was diagnose with down syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment